Hi everyone! Thanks for stopping by!
Unfortunately, those who are struggling with depression will often not ask for help. Because of this, it is important that we are educated on what depression looks like in order to offer help without being asked.
Signs of depression include:
- Sleeping too little or too much
- Poor appetite or extremely overeating consistantly
- Little interest or energy put into in his or her appearance
- Withdrawal from social activities and general conversation
- General loss of interest or motivation to do activities that usually interest them
- Beating him or herself up over small things
- Difficulty concentrating and forgetfulness
- Lack of emotion towards both positive and negative experiences (numbness)
- Mentions of harming themselves or thoughts about death (which often may seem like jokes)
- Reckless behaviors such as participating in dangerous activities, excessive drinking or drug use
- Restlessness and fidgeting or moving extremely slowly
If you are noticing a change in someone you care about that follow these signs, reach out to them. Your help may not be accepted right away, but make it clear that you are concerned because you care about them and that you are there for them. You will most likely need to continuously reach out. Try spending time with them in ways that don’t directly bring up your concern, as well. That way they will know that you are sincerely interested in spending time with them because you care for them.